Create a positive first impression for families and potential volunteers.
- Make sure the entire regional board is involved.
- Recruit workers from all sections of the region.
- Recruit a diverse group of people that represent the community. Representation matters!
- Ask “happy” people to work at registration.
- Find a large space for your event.
- Use a visual marker to identify registration workers from incoming parents and community members (AYSO hat, T-shirt, pin, bright/large name tags, etc.)
- Create an open and fun environment.
- Provide comfortable seating.
- Serve refreshments to workers, parents and children.
- Play AYSO videos.
- Encourage every parent to volunteer for at least one position. Give them a brief summary of a few positions and how the position will help the season!
Don’t give up – continue to ask new people.
Always have a debriefing lunch or meeting after the last day of registration to discuss ways to improve. What worked? What didn’t?
Have a list of how many volunteers you need in each category and evaluate how you are doing at all times.
Use some sort of volunteer registration form – make it colorful and user friendly